Thursday, December 31, 2009

Peace out 2009!

The New Year is just around the corner. I look back at this year and think, "Wow 2009, you were pretty freakin' great."  I have tons of memories from this year including good friends, goals accomplished and lots of laughs and love. There were some ups AND downs, of course, but each part taught me something about myself or life. Here are just a few examples:

1) Perseverance: After my good friend Garvey got in a car accident that could have taken his life, I remembered how important it is to tell those special people in my life that I love them, every day if I can. It taught me to not take for granted this life I've been given and to never give up. Garvey didn't. And, for that, I am grateful.

2) Love: I am blessed (every year) to have the people I do in my life; my friends and family who accept me unconditionally and appreciate me for who I am. This year, alongside those fabulous friends, came a pretty fantastic man I like to call Shen Shuttle. He has reminded me that part of true love is believing in your partner and being part of their "fan club" through the good and bad. So, not just this year, but every year, I learn the importance of friendships and human connections.

3) Forgiveness: My 2009 ended with a family trip to Arizona. It was a time to reconnect as a family in a way we have been unable to in the past. I got to spend time with my big brother (sober 9 months yesterday!) and, with that, came honest conversation, a lesson in forgiveness and a reminder of the struggles in life people often have to work so hard to overcome.

4) Acceptance: Lastly, as I completed my 1st half marathon this year, I have learned the incredible importance of health and self acceptance. Being healthy (physically and emotionally) is a life choice.  By training for and completing this last 1/2 marathon (and now training for the Boston Marathon), I am grateful for my health, my ability to challenge my body and mind and to put to use what God has given me. I will never be a bikini model and I might never have abs of steel but I can do what I put my mind to and I have learned to better accept my short legs, big forehead and my "junk in the trunk" more then I have ever before. Sure, looking like Jessica Biel would be THE BOMB, but I gotta work with what I got.


I would love to hear what you've learned this past year as well! I hope everyone had a fantastic 2009 and that 2010 brings you health, happiness, new beginnings and wonderful moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment