Friday, December 18, 2009

Inspirational Story- Take 1

I'm not a runner but I am a social worker. I work at a community health center in the city and, most days, I really enjoy my job. Today we had our annual holiday party in the lunch room. All of the staff gather in this one room and eat, drink, exchange gifts and most of us are "merry." Working where we work, it can get a bit depressing and frustrating and can really burn a person out. A lot of us see really horrible things, hear really sad stories and, as hard as we might try, we often can't help those who most need the help. However, as I looked around the room this morning, I saw many happy faces, people giving hugs, people saying words of appreciation to each other like "thank you for all your do here." Many of the doctors and nurses here could work other places for more money but they choose to work in this community because they are committed to it. They want to try to make their patient's life better, easier and they do this by putting a real effort into getting to know their patient. Everyone is working to better this community and to better the patients' lives. So, even though it a draining job, I am feeling inspired today. I am feeling inspired by the people who work at my job who make a difference in the world. I am feeling inspired by the love that was in that tiny little conference room and the fact that, even during hard times, there is always a moment I can hold onto that makes me feel good and inspired again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment