Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ready, Set, Enjoy


Today was the last long run of my training for the marathon! Woo-hoo! I was nervous about this run but I said to myself, "when you fall off the horse, you gotta get back on." 


It was a beautiful day for a run. Perfect weather (not too hot!) and the sun was out. I started out this run with a whole different mentality then all my other runs. I said to myself, "Forget pace, forget the bad runs, forget the pain...just ENJOY, just run." And I actually did. Well, who are we kidding. I enjoyed all of it besides mile 18-20. ;) The course was FULL of marathoners and there were tents set up all over offering drinks, food, goos, and (best of all) cheering "fans." It was almost like a mini-marathon day. I took all this excitement in and made sure to slow down when I needed to, stretch when I needed to and I didn't look at my watch once. I just listened to my body. At times it said, "yo what the hell are you doing to your IT band?!" or "Your ass is on fire, did you notice?" and on Heartbreak Hill(s) it said, "Um, I hate you" but most of the time it said "Go Tricia Go!" and "You're doing good. Keep it up." 


One year ago I couldn't run more then 5 miles.  One year ago I was drinking a beer while watching the Boston Marathon thinking, "I wanna do this one day." This year I've run 20-40 miles a week. This year I will be looking for my friends cheering for me while I actually run the Boston Marathon. I can't wait to enjoy it.


"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this."


-- Henry David Thoreau

2 comments:

  1. Congrats again on getting through the longest runs...it's all downhill from here. Take care of your body, get plenty of sleep, and start stocking up on the food :) You've done the hard work, now it's just time to keep your mind in a positive, can-do mode. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to be drinking a beer cheering you on thinking "maybe I'll do this next year."

    ReplyDelete