Monday, March 22, 2010

Just call me "Turtle."

What a beautiful weekend, huh? I love sunny days.  It was a beautiful day on my long run this past Saturday. I had been resting all week (i.e. ice, rest, low impact, etc) and found myself pretty nervous to actually get back on the road and try to run a long distance after the pain I experienced last weekend and the pain I was feeling this week.

Anyway, long story short, I got through the 13 miles I had planned on. My pace was significantly slower and it didn't feel good but my only goal was to get through it without the help of a cab or Ruben. I did. Thank God.

I have one more long run left this upcoming Saturday. I plan on running the actual course and I think this will be a test on how well I'll do on the actual marathon day. My goal, right now, is to finish. I don't care about time anymore, I don't care about the details...I just wanna finish the best that I can without having to stop because of pain.

It is hard to keep things in perspective when injury happens. I felt so good about my running and my accomplishments up until now. I feel pissed at myself for not doing more to prevent injury and mad at my body for deciding to zonk out on me at this point of my training. However, I keep telling myself that I have come a long way. I have really tried my best. Last October is was a struggle to finish a half marathon (my father beat me!) and now I am running half marathon distances on a regular basis. That is something to be proud of.

I think another part of the reason this injury (hell, injuries) has gotten me so down is because I know people are going to be watching me, rooting me on, wondering where the hell I am if it's dark out and I still haven't crossed the finish line (I'm joking--I hope!) and I don't want to let people down. However, I keep telling myself that I should be proud of myself no matter what. I will be competing against the course that day, not other runners, and I know the people who love me will be proud even if I limp over the finish line 6 hours after I start. "Through perseverance the turtle reached the Ark." I will reach the Ark....eventually.

So, from here on out I will think positively, listen to my body and visualize myself completing this goal any way I can. I am lucky to have this opportunity, to be able to experience this event in Boston and, really, just to be alive. The turtle will have sunny thoughts from here on out!



Happy Spring peeps!

1 comment:

  1. We'll be there waiting and watching, no matter what hour you pass by us! An Luai will be excited to see "Butch" on her way by!!

    ReplyDelete