Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Club 'Run'

One of the reasons I much prefer running outside is because of the scenery and because of the people that you come across. Running along the ocean or the Charles or even across a really cute little town is way better then sweating my ass off at a musty gym running next to a girl who looks like she's a Playboy model. I also like to see other runners. It's nice to see them and makes me feel, as corny as this sounds, like we're all part of this cool little team or club.  I always look at them and wonder what their story is... Are they a "real" runner, who qualifies for marathons, runs a 4 minute mile and could have a Nike endorsement? Are they a person who runs to de-stress, whether it be to escape their crying baby at home, release some tension from a hard day at the office or partake in their own silent therapy for the day? Are they running to complete a goal, to burn calories, to fit in their "skinny jeans" again? I see all shapes and sizes running too, which I love and reminds me to be thankful for the body I have. Whoever they are and no matter why they're running, I feel connected in some sort of way to them and I think that's kinda neat. I mean, being connected is part of being human, isn't it?

So, I'd like to give a warm fuzzy shout out to the 80 year old guy I see running the Charles and doing push ups almost every Sunday I run that route, the skinny dude who wears pink spandex and a head band on his Tuesday morning runs by Prospect Hill (you actually pull that look off dude), the girl who has been on the treadmill next to me twice at Healthworks who I can tell is struggling and told me the other day she was doing the "Couch to 5K" program, keep it up.

And to all of those who think they want to be part of "Club Run," but feel like they wouldn't 'fit in,' just do it. Take the plunge. You won't regret it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment