Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sunshine, Happiness and Golf Carts

After a few "blah" weeks lately, I had the absolute pleasure of getting away to warm and sunny Florida with two of my favorite people (i.e. VWow and Sprinkles). Sprinkle's parents' have a house down by Orlando called "The Villages." Essentially it's a retirement community for those 55+ and, of course, those lucky of us to know the 55+. So, we packed our bags and headed into the sunshine. I was not at all sad about leaving the snow, work or the icy and somewhat painful runs I had endured the past few weeks.

Now, when I go on vacation, I usually have some sort of "plan" of what I'm going to do. The only plan on this trip included these words: sun, fun, cocktails, ice cream. I might not have gotten the ice cream (instead I got an insanely redonculous chocolate covered oreo cookie) but I sure did get the sun, fun and cocktails. We had a great time doing absolutely nothing but soaking up every ounce of sun we could get at the local pool (Hacienda) which was pretty much Heaven on earth. I mean, I was with 2 hot ladies of course but there was also a tiki bar, a man who sung Billy Joel songs and country, a hot tub, 75 degree pool water and, the best part, a DANCE party. Yes, it might have been a dance party that included senior citizens but it was still the booooomb. That day alone will make me smile for the next month. We also had lots of food that was bad for us, walked around the town square and saw more old people dancing and holding hands (I heart old people who are in love), enjoyed the 2 for 1 beverages at every restaurant in town, drove golf carts while singing songs, played cards, read books, and miiiight have been in bed every night by midnight. I'd say we did a good job of being "retired."


Another thing I usually do on vacation is bring workout clothes and then never use them. It's vacation, right?! Well, this time, I knew that wasn't an option and I was actually pretty okay with it. I did my long run Saturday morning and was pleased to see that I was not the only one up at 8am. Duh. These peeps go to bed at 7pm so ,of course, they're up early! So, I was pretty entertained on my run around the Villages b/c I saw people playing golf, a walking group (who all wore neon jackets and keds), a biking train who all waved to me while I ran by and I even came across some runners who looked in their upper 50's. Now I wasn't expecting to get much "inspiration' while out on my run in the Villages (that wasn't from the sun, at least) but, low and behold, I actually did. On one of my morning runs, I was passed (yes, passed) TWICE by a man who had to be at least 80 years old. I could tell he was a "real" runner because he ran like he meant it. He had all the gear on and a water belt and I think his shirt said something about a 10K. Eighty years old and still running. Hell yeah. This dude deserved a chest bump. If that wasn't inspiring enough, on my last run of the vacation, I went looking for some hills and found both those and another person to motivate me. I decided to run up and down this one steep hill several times and on my 2nd time down, I saw this woman who had to be at least 90 in her pink jumpsuit and bedazzled visor pushing her walker up this big hill. I thought she must live on top of the hill and felt kinda bad for her but as I ran down the hill she waved and said, "I used to be as fast as you but at least I'm still truckin!" After a few more times up and down this hill, I realized this lady was actually doing laps up and the down the hill as well. Did I mention she had a walker?!? Not only was she doing it but she was doing it with a smile. Bedazzled inspiration.

So, as I return to Boston, I am returning with a few more freckles, the urge to purchase a bedazzled visor, and the thoughts of all those "older folks" dancing, running, biking and pushing their walkers and smiling while doing it. No wonder active, social and happy people often live longer and stay "younger" then many of us. Thank you for reminding me to always "Keep Truckin."

Shout outs to Adele, Alison, Ryan and Sonia for donating. Shout outs to my coworker Jen and J-Money "The Circumstance" for giving the highest donations of the week and shout outs to Sprinkles, VWow and the "Village" people for bringing some sun into my life!


4 comments:

  1. You will always be my bedazzled inspiration, no visor required. You're bedazzled on the inside! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It means ridiculous x 10, Ty. DONC is bigger then DIC and I mean that respectfully. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw - i'm just catching up on your blog...let's go back to the villages, stat! xo

    ReplyDelete