Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Run, slip, fall, repeat.

I had the worst distance run this past Saturday. I felt like an old woman. I tried to mix it up by going to the Fells and running the trails but the trails were full of snow and ice which was not good for my knees and also slowed me down significantly. I felt like my feet were cement and it was one of those runs where I was like "What? I have 10 more miles to run? " It's the first time I actually felt slightly worried about my ability to do  this and the first time this winter I've said, "I can't wait until Spring."

 I've had the whole long weekend to think about this run. Then, I came to the realization that this process of running a marathon really is 80% mental...just like everything else in life. If I feel defeated, I will be defeated. If I feel worn out, I will wear out. If I feel "ugh," I will be "ugh." I've had this mental struggle in my mind lately about other things besides running so when the running kinda sucked this Saturday, I thought, "Great, now even my running is a struggle?" After thinking about both my recent "life struggles" and my running struggles, I realize that they go hand in hand. There are good days and bad days in every aspect of life. The important thing is to learn from them and to keep running, right?  Just as I was thinking about this, Chris bought me 2 cool really books. One is called "The Runner's Book of Inspiration" by Kevin Nelson and another was called "The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women" by Dawn Dias. Both offered just what I needed....inspiration, humor and perspective.  I will be adding some "thoughts" from these books as time goes by as well.
 
 I'm off to FL with Sprinkles and VWow at the end of this week. I hope this time away allows for a little body rest, a long run with good weather and beachy scenery and some time to regain my mental focus both in running and in life.
 
Shout outs to Judy and Tom Britt, Jackie Sackett, Amie, Amy Sponsler, Cathy Rogers, Vanessa and Berty for their donations this week. Only about $1,000 to go to make my marathon goal!

1 comment:

  1. I had this same feeling last Saturday, but the difference is I was trying to 4.5 miles, gave up at 4 miles and then drank beer to get over it.

    I guess every one has their own way of dealing with bad runs.

    ReplyDelete