Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Inspirational Story-Take 2

Like I said before, this blog isn't just about running. It's about inspiration.

This story is about generosity and support. I am very aware of how blessed I am to have the people in my life that I do. Most of my friends and family members have hearts of gold and are there for me when I need a shoulder to cry on, a good laugh or a word of encouragement. I have always been one to try to do things for myself and to not be a 'burden' on others when it came to my problems of if I was having a bad day. I was a kind of "work through it myself" kinda girl.  However, in the past few years, I have become more open to sharing my feelings, reaching out for help and telling the people I trust in my life when I'm hurting. This has become easier for me the past few years because of the extraordinary people I have in my life. I have been blessed to make new (well not so 'new' anymore) friends in grad school and to hold on to old friends who know me better then most. Because of these people I have gained the strength to really accept myself for who I am. All of them love me unconditionally even if I do annoy them when I'm in my "Patty Planner" mode or am in one of my moods. That is what friendship is all about. Knowing a person, the good and not-so-good in them, and accepting them and loving them whole heartily. This year a group of my friends came out to support me in my 1st half marathon (t-shirts and all). Besides actually finishing the race, I think that was the highlight of my experience. I felt loved, genuinely loved, and that is a tremendous feeling. I hope all of you reading this know that the feeling is mutual.


To end, I'd like to give a shout out to all of those who have donated to my Boston Marathon fundraising page. Some of you I have not seen in years and your generosity has floored me. Thank you so, so, so much. Big thanks to Ma and Pa Metz, Linda and Ty Shen and to my best guy, Christopher Shen for their over-the-top donations! xox

2 comments: