Monday, April 12, 2010

One...More...Week!

Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up.
 

-Amby Burfoot
I watched "The Spirit of the Marathon" this past weekend. It was a great documentary and very motivating for the upcoming week. Though I'm excited the event is almost here, I'm extremely nervous. Tapering has been hard for me and I hope my body remembers it can handle 20 miles and that my mind can handle the 6.2 miles I've never run. I've been having some weird dreams that I don't get to the start line on time and I'm disqualified or I get lost on the course. Those of you who know me well, know that I'm a worry wart. It's a bit ridiculous. I have to remember to tell myself to enjoy this week, this day and this experience. Do I have a goal time in mind? Not anymore.  My only goals are to take in this once-in-a-lifetime experience, stay positive and cross the finish line with my own two legs.

My dad wrote to me the other day and said he wished he had a run marathon when he was younger. Dad, I think you still could run a marathon so don't cross it off your list just yet. ;)  At the same time, him saying that to me was another reminder that I want to embrace life and do things I never thought I could do while I have the time. I never want to say when I'm 80 yrs old, "If I could do it all over again, I would have..." There are no excuses. There is no time like the present. There is only this moment.

Next up on my list, run a half-marathon with my boyfriend (his 1st!) and take a dance class. After all, life is too short not to dance. :)

1 comment:

  1. Tapering is hard--your body feels like it should be running. But believe me, you'll remember how to run on Monday, and you'll be happy that you tapered and rested and stored up all of the energy that you are this week. Worrying is normal--I mean, you're about to run farther than you ever have in your life. But remember--when you get out there, it's as easy as putting one foot in front of the other! You're so ready for this. I'll be cheering from the West coast!

    ReplyDelete