Thursday, April 1, 2010

Inspirational Story-Take 4

Perspective. At times, I lose all sense of this. Today reminded me why I need to hold on to it.

I have been working with a young man ("V) for about 2 months now. Today I visited him in the hospital after he'd accidentally been shot and listened to him tell me the story of how he held his friend's body in his hands until he died. This happened in his apartment building. Thankfully the bullet only grazed my client and he was released soon after I visited. This young man is 17 years old. From age 14 on, he has been witness to this kind of violence in the community he lives in and he says it's almost normal to him. Instead of thinking about where he might go to college or playing basketball with his friends, this young man thinks about death. He wonders when it will happen and how it will feel. He wonders if he's every going to be able to have a 'normal life.'  He says he's always striving to "change his stars." He amazes me with his maturity and his resilience and I feel honored that I am in his life.

I think to myself, what was I doing when I was 17 years old? I was playing softball with my friends, going to parties my parents probably wouldn't approve of and wondering if I'd get that pair of GAP jeans I'd been longing for on my next birthday. I was playing with my dog, spending time with my family and, most likely, not realizing how lucky I was. I wish I could give this kind of childhood and adolescence to all my clients-this kind of care-free, loving and safe environment that I was lucky enough to have.

This is a sad story but I hope that the sadness turns to inspiration.  I hope today's story would inspire you to take a look at all that you have and be thankful. Even more so, I hope it would give you some perspective and encourage you to take what you have and to give to others.  When I asked my client where he gets his strength from he said, "I just try to keep it all in perspective. One of my favorite quotes is, "Look within yourself for value, look beyond yourself for perspective." He says he's always looking within, he tries really hard to see the beyond and that he hopes, very soon,that his stars will change. I hope they do too.




**some details changed to protect confidentiality

No comments:

Post a Comment